Wednesday, January 30, 2013

A Christian King - Part II

"Segregation, to use the terminology of the Jewish philosopher Martin Buber, substitutes an "I it" relationship for an "I thou" relationship and ends up relegating persons to the status of things. Hence segregation is not only politically, economically and sociologically unsound, it is morally wrong and sinful." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., "Letter from a Birmingham Jail"

I can, to the best of my ability, keep my world ordered, keep things as they ought to be.  However, I very, very, very often fail as an individual to do so.  Sometimes I put myself before others, sometimes I put finite goods before the Lord.  The point is that as a human being there are many things that are within my control, and in an ordered world, God would sit on the throne of my heart every minute of every day.  In an ordered world, I would love that which God has given me to love and I would use that which God has given me to use.  In a world of disorder, I try to use that which God has given me to love and love that which God has given me to use.

Sometimes our world can be disordered.  Dr. King rightfully singled out segregation as a disorder of this kind, a disorder so twisted that its proponents might as well preach that 2 + 2 = 5.  Citing Martin Buber, he points out that segregation is immoral (objectively so, it is not just his opinion) because it relegates human beings to the status of objects.  If one stops and thinks, can anyone doubt that our culture is guilty of this crime against humanity to the greatest degree?

Although it is just now being posted, I began writing this blog post on the eve of the annual March for Life, beckoning me to reflect: has there ever been a greater disorder than the modern relegation of the unborn "to the status of things"?  I don't mean this question to come across as pious or superficial.  I am really and truly asking: has there ever been a greater disorder?  In light of the 55 million deaths since Roe vs. Wade, the answer is clearly no.

My wife and I are expecting a baby, and the relationship between he/she and I is one of "I-thou."  I know, not just believe, that that person (that thou) is beautifully made in God's image and likeness and is so, so, so beautiful.  I love that baby!!!

Sadly, many unborn babies are viewed through the lens of an "I-it" relationship: they become objects (its), whose value is assignable and not inherent.  This is disorder.

What can I do?  Deeper conversion of my own heart, metanoia!

No comments:

Post a Comment